THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Saturday, November 11, 2006

dinner groups

Saturday went well. Friday night both big girls went to the big football game. We have two high schools in our town and they were playing each other. I think everyone in the town showed up. S worked the concession stand with some of her friends and J went to watch the game. By the time the game was over and everyone was settled into bed it was quite late.
Early this morning (the only morning we ever have any chance of sleeping in at all, BTW) we got a phone call. The Mia Maids were kidnapping their teacher for breakfast and S's ride was on the way. So we were up at 6.
It turned out to be a good thing because we got a jump on the day. DH got the lawn mowed. We got the house cleaned up for company and I got most of the dinner stuff done because I knew I wouldn't be home much in the afternoon.

After lunch we drove DH to the airport and got home just in time to go to Haylee's 1st birthday party. The kids had a really fun time.
I went home early and left Grandma and Papa to take the kids to their house after the party so I could finish getting ready for dinner groups. S was going to baby-sit them at Grandma's house.

I got home and J, who I invited to be my dinner companion, had set the table. It looked very nice and I was happy that was done. All I had to do was stick the chicken in the oven, make the rice and broccoli, get the crackers and dip ready and make the icing for the cake.
When everyone came all we had to do was set out the jell-o we made the night before. (The chicken I also made yesterday so it could marinade over night, all I had to do was stick it in the oven today. ) Get the rest for the warm stuff on the table and sit down to eat.

I think the dinner was yummy. After we played Catch Phrase and then sat around and talked. Everyone left around 10 and then we headed back across town to pick up the kids from grandma's.

J was a good dinner companion. She was happy to be there and was pleasant and helpful and she said it was fun. She also had a lovely time making fun of what grown-ups talk about on the way to get the other kids :)

Dinner Menu

Cracker and Crab dip (bought from the store)

Cranberry Chicken.
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
8 oz French dressing
1 envelope onion soup mix
mix together, pour over chicken and marinade over night.
Bake at 350 for 50 min.

I serve it with rice and then we use the sauce on the rice as well.

broccoli with orange juice sprinkled on it for flavor

Cranberry Jell-o

raspberry jell-o
crushed pineapple
chopped apple
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
walnuts

Drain juice, add enough water to make 3 cups. Stir in two boxes of jell-o. Add in Cranberry sauce and mix. Let set up about half and hour. Add other ingredients and set up for 3 more hours. Very yummy.

Harvest Chocolate Pumpkin Cake

one bowl cake
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup water
2/3 cup cooking oil
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 t baking soda
2 cups flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

pumpkin cream filling
1 8oz pkg cream cheese
1/3 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup sugar
1/4t ground cinnamon

chocolate glaze
1/2 cup whipping cream
4 oz semisweet chocolate chopped

cake toppers
red grapes, hazelnuts, shredded orange peel

Bake cake in two pans. Cool. Mix filling and place between two layers. That part is easy easy.
This next part is also easy but you have to stir the whole time and follow the steps.
In a saucepan bring whipping cream just to boiling over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Add chocolate, do not stir. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Cool 15 minutes and pour over cake allowing glaze to drip down the sides. Chill until set. Top with toppers.
It looks lovely and tastes good, kind of heavy but still yummy.

D had her bridal shower tonight. MSV just called to give a report so I am going to go listen. I wish I would have gone but I hope she had SOOO much fun! I can't wait to go to Utah.

6 comments:

wendy said...

I need more info about your dinner groups. Do you do this monthly? Is it a ward thing?

Your dinner sounds just lovely. I am in love with cranberry sauce, so I going to have to try that recipe. That cake looks just amazing!

The Pollard Fam said...

That cake looks wonderful! I am going to have to give that recipe a try.

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! Lucy is a doll... looking from the window! :) We were always riding on the TOP of the tractor! hehe

Amanda said...

Fun weekend! Your recipes look yummy. Thanks for sharing. Yes, do post more info about your dinner groups. Sounds like fun.

Millie said...

The GNOs in our ward started off as six of us doing a dinner group... and turned into something else entirely. I'd still like to do the dinner group but I'm wondering if I can do another monthly thing. :) It still sounds really fun and a good way to try out new exotic recipes.

utmommy said...

I'm definitly trying the cake!!