THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 28, 2007

sad news

Sad news. Our friends had a tragic accident. Tori came over this evening while we were eating dinner. She asked if Sandy had gotten a hold of us because she had been trying to call. Well, no she hadn't. We were outside in the pool taking advantage of a few sunny, although chilly, hours and were getting dinner ready and had been in and out all evening. Janine H, who is Sandy's sister-in-law and a good friend of ours, was driving with her kids to Sandy's house. Ben was going to meet them there. A truck was coming the other direction and swerved into their lane and they had a head-on collision. Janine was killed. Matthew, their oldest son, was killed. The other three kids are in the hospital in critical condition. Rachel, who was a little younger than J and a friend of hers, is the only one who is responsive. The two little ones are maybe not going to make it. Esther, who is H's friend has had brain trauma and they think she won't. We are very shocked and saddened. H cried during scripture time that she was scared and wanted to know about Esther; where she was and would she die. J said she just saw Rachel at camp last week and she can't believe her mom is dead now and her brother.

Right now we don't know what we will do. DH and Ben have been quite good friends since we've moved to TX and he is thinking of going to Utah to try and help in some way.

Such a sadness.

I am grateful to know that Janine was a good person who tried to do what she thought was right. She and Ben were sealed and will be together again. I feel sad for Ben and worried about his family and how they will cope.


While the big girls and I were doing the dishes we talked about them a lot. We played remember when... remember when we did this with them, or that with them. I hate that game.

The thing is you never know. The Lord knows each of us and knows when our time on Earth is over. We don't. So we have to make the most of each day that we have. We have to laugh, and love, and learn, and be the kind of person we want to be while we have a chance to do that. Sounds like a bad hallmark card but really it's true. I don't want to have regrets, and I don't want to waste my time.

Ramble, ramble.

I am grateful to know that because Jesus Christ died for all of us and because He conquered the grave and rose again we can too. What a wonderful gift! What good news, even in the face of sadness and sorrow.

12 comments:

I have a good life said...

We also heard the tragic news and, although we never knew them personally, it still really hits home. We have had a lot of discussions last night and this morning about forever families. I am so glad to know we are sealed. It also helps put all the junk in my life in perspective..I have a forever family and that is most important!

Tori :) said...

Was this in Layton? I read about it. I am so sorry!! I am thankful that families can be together forever.

Anne/kq said...

Oh, how sad. And the first friend that dies is always so tough on kids. And sudden death is so hard on everyone. My first friend that died died when I was in 8th grade. She had cystic fibrosis and died of complications of pneumonia, very suddenly; she had recovered from similar situations before and no one saw it coming.

I think she was the sweetest person I have ever met.

I have said a prayer for your family and friends and the family of the people who are dead and injured, and will continue to pray. (((hugs)))

Amanda said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about that. Life can change so quickly! How grateful to know that they will be together again! My thoughts and prayers go out to them at this time!

Holger Danske said...

I was sad when I heard about this accident, it happens just a few blocks from my house. I was even further saddened to learn of the connection to the Howards. We have been praying for them, but I can't imagine what they must be going through. It does bring comfort to know families can be together forever.

Tori :) said...

They have a website set up for the family. Esther passed away just about an hour ago. :(

Click here to visit the site.

Cheri said...

Oh how tragic- I'm so sorry for the loss this is to your family.
We will keep all in our prayers!
Cheri

wendy said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. This is such a heartbreaking story. Their family and yours will be in our prayers.

Lei said...

I am so sorry. That is tragic! It is difficult to understand why these things happen, but you have a stable outlook.

Mel said...

I'm sorry! What comfort it brings knowing that families can be together forever.

Lisa M. said...

I am sorry for your loss-

God Bless-

maggie moran said...

This is terrible-so sorry