THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Sunday, June 14, 2009

2nd Book

Today I could write about going to church for almost the last time with friends we have loved and known for 11 years. Beloved spoke and did an awesome job, I got called up "shot gun Sunday" style to bear my testimony. I could write about our heavy hearts and how much we will miss everyone ....but I won't.

Instead I will write about "the Help" by Kathryn Stockett. My 2nd southern reading challenge book that I waited for Beloved to fall asleep two nights ago and then tip toed out of the room to finish. It was that good.

It is the story of several women in Mississippi in the early 60's and told in alternating voices. One a young white woman the other 2 black women who work as household help. This is after slavery but you might not know it to look around; the distinction between white and black is huge. Separate drinking facets, churches, lives. Jim Crow laws are in effect and there is a lot of unrest.

Eugenia, home from college and trying to decide what to do with her life, wants to write. She decides to tell the story of what life is like for the help that each home in her town employs. It is hard to get the women to open up to her but eventually she interviews 12 domestics and tells their story, as well as her own.

I don't want to give it away because really it is a wonderful story that tugs at your heart and explores the richness and strength of relationships, the courage to speak up for something you believe in, and the sameness of every human heart that longs for safety and opportunity and love.

Go read it.

4 comments:

Yvonne said...

I'm sure you are filled with lots of different emotions with your move.

Now that sounds like a great book--I will have to get it for the car rides to Utah this summer. Thanks.

I have a good life said...

Sounds like a great book. I can't wait to read it.

Oh, since we aren't talking about it: You, DH, S, J, H, E, and L will be so missed. Everyone of you is special and everyone of you has great futures ahead.

Love that we have blogs to stay in touch. Oh and your DH and I were talking. Maybe the kids and I can come visit next summer! That would be so fun. If we can work it out, it would give everyone something to look forward to as well.

utmommy said...

Sounds like a good one. I should add it to my list of books I want to read. That would make it like book #556. I better get reading.

The Texas Bakers said...

That book does sound good. I will see if our podunk Newark library carries it.
We sure are going to miss you guys.