THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Monday, June 08, 2009

Ella Minnow Pea

I finished the first book for my southern reading challenge.

Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn

I liked it. It was the story of a little island off the coast of South Carolina that was it's own country. It's main claim to fame was that it was the birth place and home of Nevin Nollop, author of the phrase "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog". They erected a statue in his honor with the phrase on it and lived a simple life but one full of rich language, letter writing, and expressions of thought.
One day a letter falls off of the statue and the town council meets and decides that it must be Mr Nollop speaking from the grave letting them know not to use that letter again. They set up most severe consequences for breaking this rule. A three strike situation; strike one a warning, strike two either a public flogging or a day in the stocks and strike three banishment from the island with threat of execution if you return. Some of the citizens of this island nation are aghast at the ludicrousness of the situation but most go along.
As letters continue to fall off, and people's lives are altered we find our heroine Ella, and her family and friends fighting to save the island from the encroaching totalitarianism.

I found myself eager to find out what happens, curious if I could make up such a sentence with so few letters (no) and rooting for the heroes.

It was so interesting to me to see the historical parallels in a social sense as it often brought to mind atrocities in our world's history (like the efforts of Hitler) and how little by little a small change here, a seemingly inconsequential freedom taken away there and pretty soon a bleak and dismal evil takes over. One thing that really struck me was how many of the islanders didn't want to rock the boat or join the fight and I wondered how often we see injustices and just let them slide...maybe until it's too late.

Interesting book. The language was a delight and the story compelling.

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

I always love your summer reading challenge reports--I sit in awe, wondering when you have time to read.

Couldn't help but think how often we just sit by and watch things happen and think they don't matter--AND THEY DO.

Sharon said...

Love your review! It sounds interesting.

maggie moran said...

Speaking of islands, looking and listening to this blog makes me wish I was ankle deep in white sand! :D

I think the willingness to sit back and hope that things will get better is a trait for many who have a faith their government knows better and has a purpose for the greater when most times a mistake gets out of hand because leaders do not want to be perceived as wrong. I'm not advocating we question authority, but rather encourage those who do make mistakes to recognize them as such and make improvements. This book would make a wonderful asset to a political class; possibly, a combined book discussion with Animal Farm.

A southern book that makes you think! I like it!!!