THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Happy 14th Birthday little Pickle!

Fourteen years ago little J joined our family. She was a welcome surprise! She was born after a quick two hour labor and came into the world with a ton of hair and a sweet disposition.

Like every story this one starts a little before the "big day". Two years before J was born S was born and 3 weeks after that I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer (which BTW is the best kind of cancer to get so don't think this is a sad story). I spent the next many months being treated, had a couple of surgeries and some radioactive iodine. After I finished treatment I was told not to get pregnant for at least 5 years, and then we'd see.

We went on with life and I was busy with my two sweet little girls and doing daycare and going to school. Then I was called to be the Relief Society President and was given a wonderful blessing. Things got even busier as I learned how to serve and love the women I was called to preside over.
Then one day I was late. Well, that couldn't be. Secretly I really wanted another baby, but I knew it was foolish and wouldn't go against my doctors council, so we were doing all we should to avoid getting pregnant. Plus I had just finished a second dose of radioactive iodine and had been without my meds as part of that treatment for a month. Neither one of those things is good for little developing fetuses. Well, what couldn't be was! We were going to have a baby! Yeah!

The doctors had some concerns and suggested that maybe all might not be well but I knew the Lord had blessed us and whatever happened was fine with me.

About 6 months into my pregnancy J had a worrisome heart beat. We were sent down to LA to have testing done and found out that she was a girl, and that she would "probably be fine". This was the first time we knew ahead of time the gender of our baby. It was kind of fun to be able to get ready. It's also fun to be surprised.

We talked about names. J's dad wanted to call her Ocean. I wanted to call her Holly Nicole, I thought that was nice and Christmasy. Finally we decided on J___. It's a good name and it suits her well.

J was born a few weeks early. Great Grandpa Palmer had died and all the family was in town for his funeral. It was morning and I was bathing the girls getting them ready for the day when "pop" my water broke. I called my mom and took the girls to her and then went to the hospital to be checked. They said I was staying. I was taken to my room and I remember walking around the room in the cute little gown they give you thinking these are the last hours I'll ever be pregnant (LOL...little did I know). I was excited to greet my little daughter.

Things progressed quickly and J entered the world perfect and wonderful after a short labor. It was a happy happy day! I spent the afternoon planning the funeral from the hospital room and we went home the next day to two excited sisters and a lot of family who were so glad to have that little ray of joy in the middle of the sadness of seeing Grandpa leave mortality.

She's been my sweet little pickle ever since. Cheerful and helpful she is a blessing to me and our whole family.

5 comments:

utmommy said...

I love little pickle, and can't believe she's 14. Time flies. Give her a big birthday kiss from her favorite aunt!!

Joyismygoal said...

Wow she is 14!! life really does fly by. Happy B-Day J she was determined to come onto this world when she was supposed to I 'm sure their is a purpose for that.

Lei said...

AWWW! Happy bday Pickles!

Gabriela said...

Happy birthday J! I mean Pickles! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy 14th!! Time flies doesn't it? Funny - my daughter turns 13 in 2 days & I just wrote about her! lol!