THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Jared Carlito Renaldo

J is taking Agriculture at school. As part of her class she is raising a goat. Today was goat getting day. This is J and Sophia and Renaldo, our little dairy goat. Sophie is raising a meat goat.
Hopefully this will be great, and she will sell her goat in the end and not lose $$.
Funny story, just to show you how prepared and knowledgeable we are about this venture. J picked her goat and we got him settled in his pen and were looking at him when we noticed something odd hanging out of his bottom. Hmm, this can't be good. At this point we thought we had "Jane the little milk goat". So we went over to get the instructor, not wanting a defective goat from the get go. He walked over with us and took a look and we pointed out the "problem". Very nicely he told us that Jane was a boy, and that was his scrot*m. He had been castrat*d, how they do that is by banding the part and then letting it fall off, his had not fallen off yet.
Okey dokey.
Then he walked back over to the where the other instructors were checking out goats and collecting monies and we saw them cracking up and looking our way, of course, we totally deserved it.

We do have some livestock experience. Obviously not a lot though. When I was little we raised rabbits. We got Pinky and Fonzy and put them together and waited for some babies. Eventually we suspected there might be a problem. Finally we sought professional help and discovered that Fonzy was, you guessed it, a girl. And that pairing never makes a baby. We acquired a new male and soon had lots of bunnies.

We also learned that you don't need a rooster to get an egg when we chicken sat for the Blacks.

Learning, always learning :)

This will be a fun way to end our Texas Chapter, a little livestock raising.

6 comments:

marcia@joyismygoal said...

:) How funny did you actually use the word defective? and how can a male be a dairy goat ? just sayin....
and good for J~!~~~

utmommy said...

So funny! I would have never know either.

I have a good life said...

I love the look of your blog! Very cute. That is a funny story...I would never have guessed! Oh...and I love that dress you wore today. You look stunning in it!

Yvonne said...

I wouldn't have had a clue. I am so challenged when it comes to animals--dogs and cats are about the extent of my knowledge.

This should make for some GREAT blog stories.

Anne/kq said...

Heh heh heh. That's really funny.

I can't stand goats though (except occasionally in a curry...)

AngeeBee said...

Would you believe that I have ACTUALLY helped to castrate sheep... I have been there and done that! (One of those little experiences that my cute husband just wishes I had never had! :o)