THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Friday, July 14, 2006

We made it home!

There's no place like home. While we were driving yesterday we got to our designated stopping point and it was early in the evening, and this is key G was asleep, so we decided to press on. It would only take another SIX hours and we were tired of unpacking the car, sleeping (I use that word loosely) in hotels and being on the road. We had a great time on our vacation, and were ready to be back home. When G woke up we stopped for dinner then put everyone in the pajamas and headed out. Finally we got home somewhere around midnight.

Traveling went well. I make "surprise" bags for long trips and the kids open them at designated times. I write on the bag when it can be opened like: when we get to Kansas, or when it's dark, or 11am. I fill them with little treats like cheap new DVD ($1 at Wal-mart), candy, small toys, and the like. One favorite was the at dark bag~ it had glow sticks in it. This trip our first surprise was the first Harry Potter book on tape. A decidely no cheap treat. We listened to it on and off the whole time and really enjoyed it. J and DH and I listened when the kids were asleep and that really helped pass the time last night. The reader has an awesome voice, I would so recommend doing that.

This morning eveyrone is sleeping in, except G of course, and that means except me too. Maybe I'll nap this afternoon (pause for hysterical laughter)

Our watermelons are looking so good. I ran over to the garden last night first thing, before even hauling the sleeping angels to their beds. I was worried about them but it looks like we have at least two ready to harvest!

We walked in the house and encountered a "smell". Not the welcome we wanted. We tried to eliminate anything that could smell badly while we were gone before we left. I left all the laundry done, emptied trash cans around the house, threw away perishables, filled the dishwasher before we left so there were no dirty dishes. Besides wanting to avoid a mystery smell I always like to leave things clean so if , God forbid, we should die I won't be embarrased by the mess we left. I know it's crazy but there it is, the crazy truth. I have a good friend and we have a deal: if either of us suddenly dies, or is hospitalized in a coma, or other such extreme emergency the other is not to rush to her side but rather is to go to her home and clean up. Sparing the dead one any emotional trauma from leaving a dirty house.

5 comments:

Mall Worker said...

I'm glad that you guys had a great time and made it home safely!

I too always try to clean the house when going on trips to prevent the mystery smell that always seems to be there waiting when you get back!

Millie said...

LOL that's hilarious... I need to make a deal like that with one of my friends.

Glad your watermelons are doing so well - how fun.

I love the "open now" bags idea. Sounds like your kids made a pretty good haul!

Mel said...

You are too funny! I need a friend like that. I love the surprise bag idea.

Gabriela said...

So what was the smell? That is a pretty funny pact to have with your friend.

Love your mystery bag idea. We love books on tape too. And Harry Potter, I think my kids would go for it.

utmommy said...

Where's the picture of your watermelon? And, what was the smell?