THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A Knight in any other outfit....

is still to be treasured.



This is my knight in faded swimsuit on his trusty stead. Doing one of the millions of things he unselfishly does for our family each day. Our yard looks very nice, and it's due entirely to his efforts. Granted he enjoys it, we call it his hobby. That doesn't make it less valuable or appreciated.

I've been thinking lately on what makes a happy marriage. Not that I am an expert but I have some thoughts. My dearest daughter #1 is probably close to getting engaged. All the signs are there and I hope and pray for her happiness. Besides praying for it, and hoping for it what can one do to ensure it? What can I tell her that will help her chose well?

I think first and foremost is finding someone who has the same goal as you do. For me wanting to serve the Lord is first. For DH it is too. As long as we keep our eye single toward that purpose things go more smoothly.

I think also finding someone with similar characteristics helps. Same intelligence, work ethic, sense of humor, hobbies, all those things help. Looking for your "twin" is silly, men and women are SO different but some things in common are good. DH and I both like science fiction, we both enjoy reading, we love our pool, family is important to us, we like to go out to eat, browse bookstores, take walks, paint our house (LOL~ really one of us loves new paint and the other does it out of love for her). Someone who loves the outdoors would probably be happiest with someone else with similar likings. However differences can be interesting, especially when both partners have an open mind and respect the other.

I know some couples who seem very in sinc with one another. They have similar temperaments, politics and parenting styles. I think that would make for a harmonious relationship. DH and I have some differences when it comes to a lot of things BUT key to our happiness is commitment. I have been divorced, and I won't do that again. We both want to stay married and look for the good in the other.

I have found, and I don't know if this is universal or unique to me, that when I look for the good in Rob, when I pray to have my heart and mind opened so I can see what he does for me and our family, when I try and see him as our Father in Heaven sees him, when I look at him without thinking of me first, I feel the greatest love for him. I feel lucky and blessed. I am not saying that I don't feel like that anyway, I'm just saying it's more, it's greater, it's easier.

Also, like Johnny Lingo, when I treat him like my Knight in Shining armor he acts more like that.

Lastly I think when I think of his needs first and try and meet those I am happier. It sounds backwards but it really is the only thing that works. Ideally both partners would be doing that and then I guess you couldn't help but be happy.

Of course, all those things are things that I need to do. Which doesn't leave me with much to advise D to look for except for one thing: Look for someone who tries to live his life like Jesus Christ lived His. And pray.

So, Note to Self: Things I love about Rob

  1. he's really smart
  2. he works really hard at a job that is important not just for our family but for our nation's security
  3. he loves Mulan
  4. he plays with the kids
  5. he loves the kids and loves to watch them grow and to help them grow
  6. he does his home teaching every month
  7. he fufills all his church obligations willingly
  8. he takes me to the temple
  9. he gives me and the kids blessings when we want one, or need one
  10. he is well read
  11. he mows the lawn
  12. he pays the bills
  13. he is Guapo the pool boy
  14. he cleans up the throw-up we have around more frequently than either of us likes
  15. he plants a garden every year, even though we hardly harvest enough to make it worth while
  16. he wants me to stay home with the kids and supports me in that
  17. he is tall, dark and handsome
  18. he is mindful of the world and what's going on and briefs me
  19. he wants to make the world a better place
  20. he honors his parents
  21. he honors mine
  22. he helps my family
  23. he is good at math
  24. he worries about the kids and doesn't think I am paranoid when I do
  25. he's great on the grill
  26. he helps fold clothes at family folding party
  27. he lets me chose the restaurant when we go out to eat (most of the time)
  28. he gets up at night to check out the weird noises
  29. he hears the kids when they cry and pokes me awake to go get them, even when I am trying to fake sleep
  30. he coaches soccer
  31. he goes to violin recitals, soccer games, YW nights, dance recitals, and other kid places
  32. he likes the zoo
  33. he is Worf
  34. he is very social and likes to have company
  35. he always stays to help clean up after a ward social
  36. he is a great swimmer
  37. he has a pleasant singing voice
  38. he is a good trumpeter
  39. he is good at reading outloud
  40. he isn't afraid to stand up for what he believes
  41. he is good in an emergency
  42. he is thrifty
  43. he plays hungry hippo and Disney scene it, even when it's not his favorite
  44. he's good at games
  45. he's sat by my side and held my hand when our babies were born
  46. he keeps our kids safe
  47. he doesn't complain (too much) when I go out for girls night
  48. he takes E on the father/sons camp out even though he hates to camp
  49. he plans for retirement, college tuition and weddings and E's mission and ours so I don't have to.
  50. he finds money for the things I want even when they are outside our budget
  51. he listens to conference and looks forward to it
  52. he can open cans I can't
  53. he can reach things I can't
  54. he can back up the car better than anyone
  55. he smells good
  56. he's not lazy
  57. he is honest
  58. he changed his life for me
  59. he shares his life with me
  60. he is good at sharing his feelings
  61. he calls our family to kneel in prayer each morning and night
  62. he makes sure we read the scriptures

theres more but the kids need put to bed and Jack (of 24) is waiting, along with my sexy hubby!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you for finding such a great guy. I hope you two stay happy for the rest of your lives.

Teresa said...

I just saw that you visited my blog recently so I came over to check out yours. Wow, you have a lot on your hands but you seem to have it under control. What a wonderful husband you have. Your love seems to be so real. I can't wait until I have more time to go back and read more of your older entries.

utmommy said...

How cute that you matched with the married couple on Star Trek!! You are such a nice wife, and so appreciative of everything you have.

Millie said...

That's really awesome Tx! Lots of marriagey stuff floating around the blogs right now, isn't there? Somethin's in the air.

Best of luck to your daughter. Sometime, since I haven't read it yet, it would be fun to hear the story of how you and hubby met.

talitha said...

Thanks for sharing the good about being married! Too often women complain and do not praise the men in their lives.

Gabriela said...

What a great list and tribute to your husband! Sounds like you guys have a great marriage that you both value and work on continually. A recipe for success!

Awesome Mom said...

Sounds like you have a keeper!! I am a sci fi nut also.

Nettie said...

What a great post! It really does sound like you chose well, and have this marriage thing all figured out. What a great example for all of us. Although, I'm curious, your husband is Worf? Does that make you Diana?

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

Always love a post that brags on a husband.

Thanks for touring my home! It was nice "having you." ;)