THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Friday, August 14, 2009

Old St Mary's City

Today we went to Maryland's first capital, Old St Mary's city. It was very interesting.

My favorite part was the ship. It was really neat to learn about sea travel. I am super glad that I didn't cross the Atlantic on a tiny ship like that!
We learned about how the Indians lived, and the Europeans and the Africans. Three cultures met to form a new world. One where religious freedom was paramount, although it didn't last it was an early experiment in tolerance and not too long after the 13 colonies got together and formed a nation whose foundation is based on that very thing. That is the US I love.



I loved this quilt. It told such a story. Maybe I will learn to quilt (laugh with me :) )




A table in an "ordinary home" for travelers.


Ships mate thought J was cute :) he was very knowledgeable and everyone there did such an awesome job reenacting the time.









We learned about the laws, and saw a mock trial. Saw tobacco growing and tried to find worms on the plants, walked through rooms and saw paper printed and learned about sailors TP. The kids fed the mean pigs wild carrots they picked themselves, ran around the grass, marveled at the tons of jellies and crabs we could see in the water and drank sodas from the gift shop.



what happened to children who didn't eat their veggies in the early colonies!






3 comments:

The two old crows said...

I loved going to St Mary's City. It was so neat.

Yvonne said...

The last picture is HYSTERICAL (along with the commentary)

I would never laugh about you quilting--I won't be at all surprised to see you display your quilts soon.

The Texas Bakers said...

If anyone could decide to quilt and then just do it, I am sure it would be you! LOL on the veggies!