THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Friday, August 28, 2009

school supplies

Last night after the kitchen was clean and the kids tucked into bed Beloved and I headed out for another school supply run. Our 6th or maybe 7th. I didn't count. We have extensive lists. I think we finally got it all. Ear buds for the computer, boxes of crayons, graph paper, folders and backpacks and highlighters and index cards and sticky notes and all kinds of wonderful supplies. I actually like office supplies and enjoy a trip to Stapes, however it really adds up and literally $200+ later I am ready to cross everything off the list. Our "free" public education is expensive :)

School is going well. J has lots of homework but likes many of her classes and is making friends. H LOVES her teacher and Brother is already hoping to have him in 5th grade. She walks to the school bus with a couple little friends, leaving Brother, Lu and I behind, but we don't mind and said her teacher calls her table "the chatty cathys" which means she is making friends..and needs to be quieter in class :) Brother is happy because they can take home two books from the library at a time.

The only negative so far is the bus. Our bus situation is not ideal. We walk a mile to the bus stop and then wait with our neighbors. The bus is too crowded, 4 kids to a seat, and they have to walk across a super busy road on the way home. It's been the cause of much concern and neighborhood action in the form of phone calls, a petition, and a visit with a police officer. Hopefully it will be worked out. I am thinking about driving the kids, it would actually be quicker for me. This morning it took us an hour to walk there, visit, walk back. Yesterday it took 45 minutes (we didn't visit). Driving would take much less time, although I'd have to sit in the line of moms dropping off and picking up and that takes a long time.The benefits of the bus are they get to hang out with neighborhood kids, and I get to know the other waiting parents, it saves gas, and a walk could be considered exercise, so I hope it works out.

5 comments:

matt and michelle ray said...

The drop off at LES is horrible! They do make you wait, they don't let ANY kids come in early. So if you get there early you wait forever for the time when they'll let the kids come in, and then if you get there late you have to wait for the LONG line of cars to pull up, drop off kids, etc. I've been through lots of elementary schools (including 3 I actually worked at) and I have never seen a drop off and pick up that was so inefficient! That's just my two cents though. But I also totally get that the bus stop is too far! I don't believe that a bus wouldn't fit on our streets! All the work trucks do! Frustrating situation!

The two old crows said...

I guess we are lucky the bus stops right outside our door almost. We walk down the drivway (a short one) make a left walk about 50 steps and wait for the bus.

School is not free any more. My mom would have died to have to get all the supplies that are needed now. Even when our kids went to school we didn't buy them anything. High school was the big expense back then.

Alison said...

WOW!! Is that for real? fyi- 4 kids to a seat is not legal, no matter the size of the students. You might want to make a call to Maryland Department of Education (Brian knows bus safety) Good luck.

Yvonne said...

School supplies are sooooooo expensive.

I'm so glad the kids are enjoying school. That must be one crowded school bus--do they all ride the same bus. That seems a little crazy. How's Seminary going?

AngeeBee said...

I would opt for the driving option... for us it is more time to memorize scriptures, sing hymns and have a little family devotional before I release them into their school day! All that said, our drive is only 15 minutes!

We sure miss you! My little guy asked about your little guy and E asked about H - I had to tell them you had moved... so sad! BUT, Maryland is BEAUTIFUL and you will LOVE IT! Maybe our family will come hang out and take the kids to D.C.

Sending our love!