THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Friday, August 07, 2009

what is scrapple?

I was at the store yesterday grabbing a few things for dinner. I have yet to go back to my regular once a week menu plan and shopping trip, I am going to do that on Monday though, piece meal shopping is the pits and too expensive, anyway I saw scrapple for sale...and it looks kind of gross and I wasn't even sure what food group it was from. It's fun to be in a new part of the country and to see the differences and similarities.
A couple of days ago I went to the elementary school and the high school and got all the kids paperwork turned in and got them registered and I was surprised by another little difference. In every other state we have lived in gifted and talented kids were given special services at school~ the programs were differet in each place but there was something. Here I was told that gifted wasn't considered on the spectrum of services provided by the state so no more PACE. I didn't tell Brother and H, they will be disappointed. However, here the elementary school has both orchestra and band so that will be fun.

Yesterday Sierra and I (and the littles) went to register her for school. We got there and got our pager number to wait for our turn to meet with the counselor. Three hours later it beeped. That was fun (not). Her counselor was really nice and very helpful. She is taking Calculus, English, Communications, Sociology (13 credits) and was able to place out of a lot of math and English courses so that was awesome and time saving! They also have several none credit certification programs there and while we were waiting and reading every flyer, bulletin and warning label on the campus we read about some in the health field. One that caught S's eye was for a ECG tech. so we asked about that and she signed up for 4 Saturdays in October from 9-5, at the end she will be able to work in a hospital or doctors office as a ECG tech. How awesome. Hopefully she can get a job doing that part time while working in the field she is interested in and finishing her RN program! Yeah! I was excited, I think she is too!!!

lastly, last night my neighbor Michelle and I went to "in the kitchen with" at Breanna's home. We learned how to make egg rolls and got to visit with several fun sisters and get to know them. It was a lot of fun and the egg rolls were delicious!! My turn to host is in October..I will have to decide what to make!

9 comments:

The two old crows said...

sounds like your kids will have a easy time in school.

It was fun to learn to make and EAT those yummy egg rolls.

Yvonne said...

You are certainly getting right into the swing of things--that is so great.

How fun for S. That is wonderful.

But, I'm still not sure--JUST WHAT IS SCRAPPLE????

Breanna said...

To answer, what is scraple?Scrapple is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour. The scraps of meat are what is left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste.

My husband and I were also talking about the 4-H program and how it's not offered in the school systems here. He explained that St. Mary's County was the last county to offer it; but since everything has become so industrialized, the state found that there was no longer a need for it in the school systems. Therefore, 4-H is offered through the community centers.

matt and michelle ray said...

Mmmmmm, scrapple! You gotta love greyish colored meat concoctions!

So glad to find your fun blog! And that we're neighbors! Let me know if you need anything!

The Texas Bakers said...

I knew it wouldn't be long before all those Maryland people noticed how wonderful you and your family are! We sure miss you, though. That's weird they don't have any kind of gifted program...maybe all the kids are gifted?

Sara K said...

Hi Lana! I really enjoy reading your blog and I am excited for your journey in Maryland. I think it's great to move to new states, it spices up life :)

lera said...

Yeah, scrapple tastes kind of like sausage. Kind of. Hard to describe. It's a little peppery maybe. No one in my house will touch it. I will only eat it if it is well done. (Some eat it with syrup, which I find repulsive. Well, almost as repulsive as scrapple itself.)

One thing you need to look for is King Syrup. It's a thick, ultra-yummy syrup for pancakes, waffles, cornbread, etc. It is the best. I couldn't find it when we moved to OH for those 2 short years and had to import it.

Oh, and also Don Peppino pizza sauce. There is NOTHING like it. I eat it straight from the can. And on scrambled eggs (with mozz cheese).

Crab chips are good, too. So are Grandma Utz's handcooked potato chips and Gibbles potato chips. (I think you can get those down your part of MD. If not, you are seriously missing out.)

Oh! And Berger cookies. Oh man. You haven't lived until you eat one of those babies. And one is all you can eat at a time. They are quite rich and sweet.

nikko said...

I'm so glad that you are adapting well and enjoying the local cuisine. LOL. My SIL in Virginia has told us all about scrapple. Yuck.

:o)

I have a good life said...

It sounds like such a great and wonderful place for your family. So happy that all seems to be working out. Still miss you, of course! :)