THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Tuesday, February 02, 2010

When I was in 5th or 6th grade I read "Summer of my German Soldier". It was one of those books that I can clearly remember changing my world view (before I even knew what a world view was:) ). I knew little of war or suffering and was so touched by the story and the thought of people who lived a life so different than my own. I read it several times. A couple years later I read "the Diary of Anne Frank" and then much later "Night" and "The Hiding Place". Each of these added to my understanding, gave me more pieces of the puzzle, added a human, relatable face to facts that in history books are cut and dried and without passion. I love that about books. They make the experiences of the human family universal.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ended up a little like that. I enjoyed the whole thing, it's a series of letters written back and forth between Juliet Abbott and people on the island and others talking about their experiences in the war. It was a glimpse of life during German occupation. Two thumbs up.


on another note the kids went to school today, for a half day, but still they went!! I don't think we'll have such luck tomorrow since we are expecting another storm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I visited Tom tonight and he told me about your blog. I also blog and will try to post the address sometime in case you are interested.

I read just excepts of "Night" and it made me sick. It was so hopeless, so awful. I understand WHY but oh, was a rough book! There was so much more hope, even in the midst of horror, in the Hiding Place.

But I agree of course that different books help with worldview.

I'm glad you are all enjoying VA.

Laraba

Shelly said...

My mom gave me the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (that's a mouth full!) for Christmas. I haven't read it yet, but I want to really soon!