THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

the big dilemma





Poor H had a huge dilemna. We are a busy family. We try and keep it to one activity per kid, not counting music lessons, but that still has us running a lot. H and DH have been taking karate togehter and that was her one. Brother started the whole karate thing, they joined and then he stopped karate and has been focusing on soccer.

However since first grade H has been asking to play volleyball. I have told her it doesn't start until 3rd grade. Well, third grade came and we didn't sign her up because we were doing karate. She was upset so I told her in the spring we'd try and work it in. Now it's spring and we worked it in, hopeing we wouldn't have too many conflicts.
Last night she had volleyball practice, her long awatied and practiced for belt test, and open house at school. She agonized about which to attend. I told her she could pick. She could do volleyball and then go over to open house. Or she could go to her belt test (which would take the entire time of both the other activities.) She finally, with great difficulty, and some hestitation, and a little nudge from her dad, choose karate.

Open House is a lot of fun. However we are in the classroom and involved with the kids education so I didn't think missing that was the end of the world. Today I am going to go in and pick her up and look at her stuff. It won't be the same but hopefully that will lessen the sting a little. I did feel bad about missing volleyball since the team hasn't been able to practice. We will continue to work with her and she'll make the rest of the practicies.
Karate is a committment to more than yourself. You have to be there for others to progress as well since they needed her to spare against as well as she needing them to do the same. She has been a yellow belt for many months and has been working toward orange and this was the agreed upon date. I guess something always comes up and you have to pick.

At the end of the night she got her belt and was happy with her choice.

..brother however cried. He is jealous that he isn't an oragne belt and now wants to go back to karate. He didn't really like going when he did go however. I always had to persuade him to get ready and go and he cried about being gone too long and missing me. I do not have that problem with soccer. Also he is signed up to start baseball as soon as the soccer season is over so I am not at all anxious to sign him up.

5 comments:

marcia@joyismygoal said...

ggod test H and go orange!!

Britni said...

This was definitely one of the hardest things about high school was deciding whether to go to the volleyball game, choir concert, or honors banquet (well not really the honors banquet). But I wouldn't trade the experiences I had doing all I could for anything. I loved it.

Yvonne said...

Making those choices is always difficult--especially for one who is young. I'm glad the test went well for her.

nikko said...

She did a great job on her belt test. I video'ed it for you, but it turned out a bit blurry. (My camera was really acting up) I'll email it to you anyway.

I have a good life said...

What a crazy night. It is so hard to have so many good choices to choose from. I guess it prepares them for being an adult when the conflicts happen with greater frequency.