THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Ward Conference


We had an awesome ward conference today. It was so uplifting and nourishing, I loved it. We had a youth speaker, Denise Mensink, who did a great job. She is so poised and mature. After her the Bishop spoke. He did a great job as well. As I was watching him I was thinking, here's this guy who we have known awhile now. Our families have been friends and I feel like I know him pretty well. I know his face. He has a kind face, a face that laughs easily, he's a kidder and he's clever and gentle. Those are all looks I know on his face. While he was speaking though I saw another face. A look I have seen now several times, but one that is still new. He has the look of a Bishop, not all the time but now and then he says something and his whole face changes, he has authority and I know he is speaking with the voice of God. His words are sharing with us the mind and the will of the Lord. What a blessing. What an awesome transformation to watch a man I know and like grow into a Bishop I love and follow. It's powerful.
After he spoke Tori sang. She has the voice of an angel, I always love when she sings, always, this song was one of her best. She sang "This is the Christ" and she was clear and perfect and the words were powerful and stirring. It was a wonderful experience. I am jealous, I can't sing at all and I will never be able to share my testimony with the strength that she can through music.
Pres. Hadley spoke next, and he was awesome too.
Then we went to Sunday School. My whole class brought their scriptures, first time ever. I had told them if that ever happened they could come over and play Wii so Tuesday night is the chosen time. They are excited. We had a fun lesson on feasting on the words of Christ. Last night J and Emma helped me make paper feast food, then I wrote verses and questions on the backs and we turned them over and read and discussed. It went well.
Lastly we had a combined Priesthood/Relief Society meeting. It was also really good. President Vigil, who I have always loved, spoke. Also Pres. Hollinger and President Hadley. They are all so loving and gave such great messages. I loved President Hollinger's remarks about setting the standard. He talked about high jumping. If you want to complete in the high jump you have to qualify but jumping 7 ft 3 and a 1/4 inches. Which is high. He showed a place on the wall that is that high. Then he talked about keeping the Lord's standards and how that keeps us close to him. Sometimes it seems like it can be too hard,who can jump 7 feet 3 1/4 inches, right? But the Lords standards can be kept by an 8 year old child getting ready to enter the waters of baptism, or a 19 year old young man leaving on a mission, or an adult ...anyone.
President Hadley talked about doing the simple things we need to to follow the Lord. He told a cute story about his car, it had lost it's knob to adjust the heat/AC on the car so it was stuck on hot. For awhile they had a pair of pliers to turn with but then they got lost and the family was stuck with hot air ...for two years, in TX. I can relate, how many silly things do we do because we don't realize how easy the fix is and then when we do it's like duh? Well finally he went to the store and asked about buying a new knob, turned out you could, you didn't have to go to the dealer or anything complex. And now they have hot and cool air. He then related Prayer to that, do that simple thing and get the fix you need in life. Very fun. All three men are interesting and inspiring speakers. It was a good day :)
And during the last hour I got to sit by my friend Joy and giggle with her over silly things...which can be dangerous but also fun :)
Yesterday's thing went well, so I was glad.

5 comments:

nikko said...

I had the same type of thoughts when the bishop spoke -- almost as though hearing from him for the first time. It was a great sacrament meeting. Thanks for letting me know what happened in the third hour! Primary was great, too, but it's always nice to hear what the other adults are being taught.

Yay for your SS class!

Yvonne said...

What age group do you teach in Sunday School? How great that you are letting them come and play Wii--rewards are always great!

Isn't it wonderful to know our leaders are inspired and called of God. There is something about watching that transformation--the mantle of a Bishop or a Stake President is so evident in them.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

nip

I have a good life said...

Loved the conference. It was particularly special. I am so glad that we were there and that LD was asleep during the third hour so I could hear it! :)

Gabriela said...

I think that's so cool when you can see changes in a new bishop-it's very interesting.

I could never sing either. Anything!

Sounds like it was a good conference. :)