THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

little kindnesses

After I dropped off the kids this morning I started on my errands. I needed to go to the post office to mail some bills, the bank to order checks, and Verizon to replace my phone. It stopped charging a couple days ago and I wasn't sure what was wrong with it.

The first two stops went so fast and then I went to Verizon where I found I was still under warranty but that store couldn't help me because they didn't have a technician. At store #1 they told me the store in CA did and I should go there. They said it would be open at 9:30 so I drove down. It wasn't open until 10:00. I wandered around for a few minutes looking at store fronts to pass some time then came back to wait. At that time it was about 10 til and one other man was also waiting. Over the next 5 minutes 9 more people came to wait...now I was nervous. Would I get helped in time? It was a little annoying that they didn't open their doors early with so many people standing outside, and a bunch of employees standing around inside chit chatting. Finally we got in and I registered in the Que then quickly got called. The girl who helped me was nice and friendly and looked at my phone and said they'd replace it but first they had to call Beloved for "permission" since his name is on the account. I don't know why but I found that extremely annoying. I had to wait while they called him and asked if it was okay. I heard him asking how much it would cost and then he said yes. I really had to struggle with not feeling so mad at her, and him (although I know it wasn't his fault at all).
While I was standing there waiting for my phone to be fixed a little old lady got called up. Using her cane she came up to the counter and handed "Josh" her phone and a list of numbers. Her problem was she didn't know how to program them into her phone. He was so sweet. He took her phone and the list and programed them in, then helped her set up speed dial, and she wanted "a song to play when her phone rang" and he helped her with that. The whole time being so kind and not at all condescending. She was sitting on a chair on the side when I was finishing up. His kindness so touched me. I took a little sticky note and wrote on it "you are being so sweet to that cute old lady:)" and reached over and put it on his computer. I didn't want her to hear but I wanted him to know that I noticed and appreciated it. He smiled and we both went about our day.
This small act of kindness completely changed my mood, and I am sure it was wonderful for her too.

Note to self: be kind. It matters.

6 comments:

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

I so agree- and I have certainly been on both sides where if I had tried to curb my annoyance, a situation could have gone better for all involved- I need this thought "tatooed" on my heart-

Robin said...

Act of kindness can make a day much brighter. thanks for sharing.

Yvonne said...

That was very sweet--so glad you shared.

Hope life is good for all of you.

The two old crows said...

I'm glad you shared also. We all need to know of these great deeds and then try to brighten up someone else's day.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

it does , and his made you do one too --it is so contagious How did Lu like school and whatever will you do w/ your time:)

Bainter Family Antics said...

All of your posts that I read today really touched me. Keep it up! I am so glad that you have moved in so that I have another great example to look toward. :)