THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

on being happy


this picture has nothing to do with the post, I just liked it...and it's my blog, so there you go :)
"Bloom where you are planted" not just good advice but a Divine edict I believe. The last couple months as we have begun our life here in Maryland I have had a number of people comment on how well we are adjusting and how happy we seem. And we are. However that is a decision that we made. Happiness is a choice, and making our way in a new place and new circumstance requires choosing that route.
We have found many nice things about living here. I love our home, it's spacious and beautiful and I feel grateful to have it. The grass here is really soft and wonderful to sit on or walk in (unlike TX). The soccer field where Brother plays his games is quite nice, with a playground and actual bathroom instead of port-a-potties. The school offers many enrichment programs that the kids are benefiting from. Our neighborhood is friendly and fun. We have met wonderful people in our ward who I am sure we will have warm and long lasting relationships with. There are interesting historical sites to visit and crabs to eat. Every place has wonderful things about it, and neat people to meet, and food to eat. You just have to look.
It's an odd kind of a thing because we do miss Texas a lot. I liked living there. I loved our pool and our house and that the bus stopped right at our mail box. I loved our schools and going downtown and the museums and zoo and shops that were nearby. I loved that our ward was small in geography, and the wide open spaces. Most of all I loved my dear friends who I miss every day. I think about Deana and wonder how she is doing, being treated for cancer, a second time, it's so unfair, yet she is positive and steadfast. I wish I was there to bring her some brownies. I worry about Ruth, who is so strong and wise and will be just fine, great really, but is facing life as a single mom, not in her plans. I wish I could be there when Kriste welcomes son #5 into her family, or when Tori sends Holly off on a mission. I miss Debi and Angela and our awesome childcare arrangement, and our friendship and laughter. I miss Marcia, my birthday twin and sweetest friend who is always willing to solve the worlds problems during a mid day phone call. I miss Robin, who's example I always treasure and try and emulate, and Alison who is so put together, and so generous with her time and talents...and I could easily go on and on. I miss the wonderful, irreplaceable good friends that J had. Her life here is really different, not bad, just different. She too is choosing to be happy to find the good and has made friends, and joined clubs and loves orchestra.
I'm getting a little rambling now:) The human heart is interesting. It can miss and mourn, and look forward and make new at the same time. Funny. What a blessing.
So we chose to be happy. Chose to make new friends and have new experiences. Chose a bright fun future.
Come what may, and love it!

10 comments:

Yvonne said...

I LOVE THIS. Like you said, interesting that we would both post about the same thing on the same day.

You are such a great example of finding the good--one of the qualities I love about you.

Tori Black said...

We love you and your good example to all of us. We think of you every day and are happy for you. Glad that you have so many exciting new things to love about your new life. But we still hope that someday you will come home to us :-)

The two old crows said...

Amen to what you have said. Didn't know the facts on our first move after living somewhere for 40 years. By the second move had learned to decide to be happy no matter what. It really makes a difference.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

Come what may, and love it! yes, but some tears are allowed esp when reading sweet posts of fun friends who we miss everyday.

matt and michelle ray said...

I love that talk, such an important thing to remember! And your post made me cry. Having just moved too (a lot) I totally agree. Life is what you make it and there is good to be found no matter where you live. And we're glad you're living here!

nikko said...

I am happy for you an glad that everyone is adjusting well.

We all miss you tons. I see your "old" house every single day. Even though I know you're not there, I still turn my head to see if your suburban is in the driveway as I turn into my cul de sac. :o)

Alison said...

You are right, txmommy! You have to choose to be happy and love where you live. We did that with every move we made.

I'm glad you are loving your new home. Your smile and positive outlook on life are missed. Your whole family are missed. Carson was calling J on his pretend phone the other day. It was cute.

Head Nurse or Patient- you be the judge said...

I agree with you so much. When we were moving around a lot- quite a few years ago now- I made the decision that I was going to dive in with both feet ( a challenge for me) and get myself out of my comfort zone. What happened was that I made some of the best friends of my life- and even after being gone for 13 year, am still in frequent contact with them. I am glad I forced myself to not be my usual self.

I have been impressed with your older girls' attitudes- they seem to be adjusting really fantastically-

The Texas Bakers said...

This post just exemplifies the picture of you I have in my head. Always positive, friendly, outgoing. And being that way because that is how you choose to be. That is a great example to me. Thanks.

wendy said...

You are so right.

Moving is a bummer, but a good attitude can make all the difference. I hope I can remember that when we get ready to move...