THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

An Angel carrying a Strawberry Shortcake Lunchbox

Before H was even born we picked out a name for her that DH and I both loved. It's Hannah. I thought it was lovely and I pictured a girl who was sweet and virtuous and patient and faithful, calm and serene. Like the Old Testament Hannah. Hannah is sweet and lovely. Calm and serene are not two words that anyone would ever use to describe her though. She's a little tornado! (and ...shhh don't tell anyone...sometimes drives us nuts) She also has the sweetest side to her. Today I saw that again, and it reminded me what an angel she really is. I need to see that all the time.

When she started kindergarten we went to the store and bought a new strawberry shortcake lunchbox. She chose it, she loved it. She took it to school once and then saw the wonder of the school cafeteria. She was hooked. Every day she buys her lunch. She loves the power of choice and the "yummy" foods that she doesn't get at home. Here we eat yucky stuff like salad, baked chicken, beans, veggies, and other "disgusting things." There she can eat pizza, and burritos, and chicken fried steak and I don't know what else. This morning she told me she wanted to bring her lunch. Why? I asked. She told me that her friend Lexi isn't allowed to buy lunch anymore because her family can't afford it and she doesn't want her to feel badly so she is going to eat brought lunch with her. Knowing how much she loves cafeteria food this really touched me. To make matters worse all we had in the house was pbj sandwich makings. E's favorite, H hates it. She sighed when I told her but said yes to make it. Then she watched as I cut it into triangles for her. "Oh good mom, maybe it'll taste better as a triangle" she assured me when I was done. This was a very selfless act on her part. Every now and then I get a glimpse of their true character and am humbled.

3 comments:

Amadeo said...

How cute and thoughtful of her.

Rachelle said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. Your girl sounds so sweet. Children are the best!

utmommy said...

What a darling little girl!! I need to see those precious moments in my children too.