THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Monday, October 02, 2006

Three phone calls


Phone call number 1. Last night around 10pm the phone rang. I answered and heard, is this L? This is Greg. We talked for a moment and then he said this is my first time doing this I don't know if I should talk to you or to R? I said why don't you talk to both of us and I called DH. In the getting of the phone we somehow managed to hang up on him. I felt awful and went to look at what number was calling. I realized the number was too long for me to just dial back without copying down so I went to search for a pen. In the meantime he called back.
So we talked and he said he wanted to ask our permission to ask D to marry him. He said he knew it took him awhile but he wanted to get the ring paid for before he proposed.
I asked him why he wanted to marry her. I wanted to hear from him how wonderful he knew her to be, how he couldn't live without her. You never know what the future will hold and getting married is the ultimate act of trust and faith and hope. Who she marries isn't my choice but I wanted to have my heart satisfied that he knew he was lucky and she was more precious than anything to him. He answered that he loved her, and felt like a better person with her, and thought he did the same for her. He thinks they can have a wonderful life together.
We talked for a few more minutes and then I told him yes. I told him we liked him when we met him and were happy to have him in the family. I asked if they planned a temple wedding, knowing that they did, and he said yes. We were happy to hear it. He told us he planned to propose the next day and we should expect a call. Wow, that is a phone call I was not prepared for. We went to our room and I reached for my cell phone, planning on calling my sister. DH said no, don't tell anyone until he gets a chance to propose. Alright, that's right, I can keep a secret (usually I am really good at it but this was different). As we got ready for bed we talked about how excited we were for them. She has made a lot of hard choices and good moves to get herself in the place where she is now, ready to go to the temple clean and worthy with a young man who will be her eternal companion. We were happy and proud and relieved and grateful and thrilled and much much more. Then as we lay there a few more minutes I looked over at brother sleeping in "his spot" in our room and remembered a four year old little girl, with big blue eyes and the sweetest temperament and the bubbliest personality and I missed her. How did she grow up and move away and start her own life and it was just a blink in time? I could not be happier for her, and I couldn't not imagine missing her more.

Phone call number 2. Around noon today I was talking to D. She had just gotten off of work and was driving home. We chatted about her computer, her job, the weather, different things and I thought she has no idea this is going to turn out to be such a happy day. How weird to talk to her and be so excited and not say anything. She said that she and Greg planned on going letter-boxing that afternoon but now it was raining and she didn't know what they would do.

Phone call number 3. Four fifteen or so. The kids and I were driving to Target, we needed several things and they were all talking and excited and the phone rang. It was D. What are you doing? she asked. Driving to Target, how about you? The same. You're driving to Target? Well, no, we're driving to Heber. I'm getting married! You're engaged?! Yes!! Tell me what happened. I can't, I can't talk and drive. Okay stop and tell me. She pulled over, laughing and excited and they switched places and then she told the story.
Our car was silent, the kids were all watching and trying to hear. Shhh! The big ones said, mom is crying. I was laughing and crying and so happy to hear her SO excited.
After D had showered and gotten ready she went to Greg's house. They ran some errands and then went up to Bridal Veil Falls, they were going letter boxing and took an umbrella because it had been raining. D led the way and found the cache. She took it and sat down on a log and started to look in the box. There was a tootsie roll, some other random things and a note. The note said "For Time and All Eternity" She looked at Greg and he was on his knee and said "will you marry me?" D went "ah (read: sharp in take of breath) and hugged him and kissed him. He said is that a yes? Yes! Then he asked if he could put the ring on her finger and she let go and he did. And it was beautiful and she was thrilled, and I am guessing he was too!
Then we exchanged some isn't this greats, and how wonderfuls! And she had more phone calls to make. I hung up the phone and the kids yelled "what happened? Dani is getting married? How did he propose?" So I toldthe story and they jumped and hooted and hollered and were so excited, even little Lucy. It was SO SO fun. They were excited all the way through Target and all the way home and all evening long. Luckily our FHE was a painting project and treat delivery and not a sit down lesson, we would never have made it.

They are thinking about Dec 9th , 9 weeks away. I guess I need to talk to D tomorrow and start some planning, it's going to be crazy. DH is seeing $$ but is excited and happy so hopefully this will go well. It'll be different trying to plan a wedding in Utah when I live in TX. I want it to be wonderful, I want her to be happy, I am sad I'm not going to be there for every bit of planning along the way. I am thrilled to see her go to the Temple. I am jealous of his family being right there for all the fun, but just a little. It'll be great. Wow!

14 comments:

Joyismygoal said...

I am so happy for her and for him she is such a wonderful girl and will always have a place in my heart (Smiling Through tears).
Congrats Mother-in -law!!. I will help in anyway I am able.

utmommy said...

Yeah for D. SHe came over and looked so excited. They both had the hugest smiles!! So cute. I can't believe how grown up she is too. I think she is truly going to be happy! I help where you can't if that makes you feel any better.

Super Happy Girl said...

"For Time and All Eternity".
:D Best reason ever.

Congrats! how exciting!!, lots of exclamation marks !!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, how exciting! That's so wonderful! Congrats to everyone!!!

Amanda said...

That is so exciting! What a great time in life!

nikko said...

Yay! What great news! Congratulations!

Melessa Gregg said...

I'm just a lurker here, but I'm a lurker who's crying! Congratulations to everyone!

The Amazing Trips said...

I'm crying. Really - I'm crying. Mostly happy - but also sad that time just goes too darn fast.

Congratulations to the happy couple ... I know she will make a beautiful bride. :)

Lisa M. said...

Very very very neat.

Special.

Anonymous said...

How exciting! I can't imagine... thank you for sharing! :)

Awesome Mom said...

Congratulations!!!! I am glad that you both approve of her choice, I am sure that makes it that much easier.

Gabriela said...

Congratulations, you must be a proud mom right about now. That is my dream, to have my kids be able to go to the Temple to marry. Wow!

Mel said...

I just love it that you have such a close relationship with your daughter and you are so excited for her. What a fun time for both of you!

Anonymous said...

This has to be my favorite post I've ever read out of all the blogs I read. It's a surge of emotion that you state so eloquently that I just can't help but be happy for both you and your family. What a blessing of a family that you have! This was beautiful! Congratulations!!!