THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Monday, December 10, 2007

numbers

I'm really not great at math, which is secretly the reason why I married DH. Dani was in 5th grade and her homework was getting kind of hard for me to help with. Solution: find an engineer, convert him, marry him, assign him to be the official homework helper. Problem solved :)

I think I'm going to be in trouble before 5th grade with brother. Yesterday we were getting him ready for church and he asked me if there were any numbers smaller than zero.

Yes.

What are they?

(thinking great) saying: well they are called negative numbers.

I don't get it?

I know, no one does.

Blank look.

Fine, your dad does, but no one else.

More expectant looks.

Okay there is negative 1 and negative 2 and so forth.

I still don't get it.

Okay, lets say that I tell you "Brother if you mow the lawn I will pay you 10 apples. And then you do it but I only have 7 apples so I give you those."

That wouldn't be fair.

Yep, so then how many more do I owe you.

Three.

Right.

So I have -3 apples.

thinks for a minute, because the next three you get are really mine.

Yep.

Ohhh! How many are there?

apples?

No negative numbers? does it go to infinity?

Yep they never end in either direction.

Cool!

Whatever (I didn't say that part out loud.)

And thankfully that was enough or someone else needed their hair brushed I don't remember which because I have pretty much exhausted my knowledge of negative numbers.

And if I'm wrong, DH, then you might want to have a little chat with your boy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your explanation is better than what I would come up with.

Guess I'll have to show him a number line tonight.

While we're bragging, yesterday in church, during his Mom's talk, he asked me to write some math problems down for him. So I did. I started easy, then put some subtraction, then put some 3 digit addition and subtraction, like 3+1+4=

He did really well. I don't think he heard your talk though.

~DH

Yvonne said...

I think you did a great job explaining. I love the "I don't get it?" "I know, no one does." Kyle doesn't even bother coming to me for help with his pre-cal homework ; )