THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Grandma Betty

Today Grandma Betty died. She was almost 87 years old, and had been in bad health. Still we were surprised and sad.

I met Grandma when she was already 78 years old, I wish I had known her even longer. She was the most wonderful lady. She was always cheerful and smiling. Always kind and interested in everyone and everything.

I remember the first Christmas we spent in Ohio. DH and I had just gotten married that summer and this was the first time the girls and I spent Christmas outside of CA. It snowed! Which was so exciting for us. On Christmas Eve we went to Grandma and Grandpa B's for dinner. She had the table set so beautifully. DH said that she always did, everything was always special when she did it. She made cute little salads out of pears for the girls that looked like mice and we tried buckeye's for the first time. They were yummy. She also poured their drinks out of a pitcher that played music when you tipped it up. They were charmed. I have that pitcher now in my collection, I need to remember to show the littles how it plays music.

She was a wonderful example of how making a little extra effort made things so nice for family and guests.

Every time we saw her she was always so thrilled and interested in each of us. She made you feel like you were really special and she was the biggest cheerleader you ever could meet. With that kind of love and enthusiasm how could we not try and shine for her?

One thing I will never forget is how she always got down on the floor and played with the kids. Even up until this last Christmas. She would get down on the ground and talk to them, and see what they were doing and clap and smile. She truly was just a delightful person.


She had many interesting stories to tell as well. She and Grandpa did a lot of travelling. They worked hard to raise two sons who grew up to be the nicest men. She had grand kids and great grand kids and nieces and nephews and I am sure many many friends~ all who loved her.

I feel sad for us because we will miss her. I feel sad for Abba, who was a good and loving son and who will miss her the most. I am glad for her. I know she is happy. She is with her sweetheart Bill again, and together they will spend eternity. They were always so kind and sweet with each other, sharing stories of a lifetime spent together and smiles. I know she knew the Lord and loved Him and served Him and I am confident that He greeted her with open arms and great love as His beloved daughter has returned home again.

I hope I can be like Grandma B. She had so many good qualities and was such a Christ-like, sweet, bright, awesome person. We are lucky to have known her and I will be happy to see her again some day.

10 comments:

maggie moran said...

I'm sorry to hear about Grandma Betty. *hugs*

Natalie said...

I'm sorry about Grandma Betty. She was wonderful and such a great lady. We sure loved her. Sending our love and sympathy.

XOXO
Grandma and Papa

Unknown said...

What a wonderful tribute and treasured photos of her with the kids!

Tori :) said...

(((HUGS)))
Beautiful tribute.

Joyismygoal said...

so sorry about Grandma Betty. very nice tribute. ((HUG)) will you all go to her funeral?

Cheri said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like you have great memories and what a comfort that you know she knew the Lord.
Cheri

Suzanne said...

How sad to have lost Grandma B.! It sounds like she left quite a legacy and will be missed!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Grandma Betty. What a blessing it is for you and your family to have had her in your lives!

Lei said...

I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like she lived a good life and everyone around her benefitted. :)

Anne/kq said...

I am sorry to hear that you have lost a grandma you loved so much. But thank you for the beautiful memories you shared. I have two grandmas almost that age and I will be very sad when they are gone. Thank you for letting us know her a little through these stories.