THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Thursday, November 16, 2006

the mandatory preschool post

Today was preschool day at our house. It went well. The boys are adorable.

Before I had a son I didn't really want one. I thought little boys were smelly and loud and grew up to be men, and I didn't really like a lot of men. Oh, I know there are lots of great men out there. There are also a lot of stinkers.

Before I had a son I thought little boys shouldn't play with weapons. They should be peaceful and quiet and were clearly not being raised right. They should be polite and clean and whatever my list used to be.


Now I have a boy. I didn't know how charming and wonderful I would find him. His little boyness is so different than the girls and I am glad. I am glad he's strong and active and coordinated. And I let him play with weapons, not that I could have stopped him. Every toy, every object, in the hands of my boy becomes a weapon. I want him to speak up for what he believes and I want him to stand and fight for what's right.


Today our lesson was on Thanksgiving again. We played a game where I cut out lots of pictures of stuff and put them on cards. The boys picked a card and told about the item and why we should be thankful for it. Some cards just said "Thanksgiving" on them, then they were supposed to tell something they were thankful for without a prompt. These sweet boys, as little as they are, were so kind and thoughtful and expressed such tender feelings. Feelings of love for their families and for their friends. Gratitude for the Savior and a desire to follow Him. Joy and wonder over the world and the creatures on it.

One little guy pulled out a card and it had a picture of Pres. Hinckley on it. He said "OH! It's Pres. Hinckley. I love him. He tells me how to follow Jesus!" Another boy when pulling out a "thanksgiving" card listed all the boys in the class, and said he liked to go to school with them. Grins spread on all the little faces sitting in the circle. These babies know who they are and what's important. Now we just need to help them never forget as they grow their way to manhood.

After the lesson they set up a big battle field. Dinosaurs and snakes joined army guys and tanks and the war was fierce and long and complex. They were noisy and things flew and I watched these little stripling warriors as they learned. Lessons of faith and lessons of courage taught on the living room floor. Hopefully they will remember both for a life time.

5 comments:

Joyismygoal said...

I love little boys too:)

wendy said...

I have 6 sisters (no brothers), then we had 3 girls. I love girls, and when I was pregnant with #4 I hated it when people would say "hey, gonna get a boy this time..." I mean, why would I need a little boy, gosh.

But we did get that little boy and he is so super fun. He has such a special energy and life in him. I love that little guy.

Thanks for such a sweet, thoughtful post.

nikko said...

Sounds like it was a fun day! K sure hated to leave.

Gabriela said...

Boys are different (but nice) for sure. Your class sounds fun!

Mel said...

Yes, boys love weapons. Everything becomes a weapon... My boys would even eat their sandwich into the shape of a weapon. So creative!