THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Monday, June 18, 2007

so glad my high school days are done...

Do you remember high school and the kind of stinky ness of it at times? I do. And with teenagers I get to re-remember the parts I blocked out :)

We had a day of teenagery activity. This morning I drove S to EFY at UNT, after a few vital and critical last minute errands. She went last year and had SO MUCH FUN! This year we wanted to send J and S w/ friends. Sadly the session we tried for was full and this week was girls camp so J couldn't go but S said she wanted to even if she had to go alone. We got there and found her room and got her settled...and then the uncertainty started. Her roommate wasn't there yet, and what if she never showed up, or what if S made no friends, and what if she wanted to come back home with me. So I waited with her, and told her it would be great, and she was friendly and fun, etc. Finally though I had to go because J had the kids and she had another baby-sitting job at 2. Luckily just then her friend Z texted and they agreed to meet somewhere and "be bored together", which was good because yesterday they weren't speaking (remember having a boy for a friend that you kind of liked but kind of weren't sure about and all that drama?) So I left with my fingers crossed and went home.

When I got home I found J and the kids and a few extra teens. I love having extras around but not when I am not there so I reviewed the rules with J and the consequences, and she was sorry and helped clean up. And now she understands the absolutely dire consequences that will come with any further infractions.

Then she went off to watch P-man and Lou napped and I took the kids swimming. Then Lou woke up and joined us.
Next we had the student council getting to know you swim thing which I was driving J and friends to. They arrived at our house and we filled the car with wet kids and laughing loud girls and drove to the house where the festivities were to be. For those of you not from TX everything here really is bigger. You can drive a good 15-20 minutes to get to someones house in your ward or school. This was the case. I got there, it was packed, they hopped out, I drove home, the phone rang, "can you come get us?", no questions asked, "yep", I drove back. I went inside to find the girls and it was packed. Lots of kids, lots of noise. Outside by the pool I saw my three little freshmen girls sitting together, chatting. They looked happy to see me. The poor boy sitting alone at the table looked like he wished he were somewhere else as well.
one great thing about being grown and married is you always have someone to sit with a party, someone to go to the movies with, and a car to leave places you'd rather not be.

I am glad those days are over for me, and hope I can be there for the kids as they go through it...and that I will remember and empathize.

S later texted that her roommate got there and she was cool. Whew!
J and girls are happily swimming at Sophia's pool. Whew.

Tomorrow's another day. Right now Lucy wants me to read her a "boup", so off I go... you gotta love a two year old :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you...I never really liked high school and enjoyed college sooooo much more. Plus, I don't envy all the pressures and temptations kids have today.

I have a good life said...

What a busy mom!! You never cease to impress me. With the age span of your kids, you always are needed in one way or another...and you do it with such grace! :)

Lisa M. said...

I hated, hated high school- I actually left early, I couldn't stand it.

I am so glad my daughter is happier in school than I was. It has been a dream almost, watching her go through her high school days. She will be a Jr, next year- and she is for the most part, a happy little clam!

Had to laugh at the sixteen candles-

Funny!

nikko said...

You couldn't pay me enough to go back to high school!

Thanks for lending J to me yesterday to watch Little P!

Anne/kq said...

I hated HS. If my daughter wants to be in school when she's that age we'll let that be her choice, but if she decides that she'd rather be homeschooled still we'll gladly let her spare herself potential misery. (Her sensory issues are even worse than mine were as a child, and they caused me a LOT of social problems on top of just the regular HS ones. *sigh*)

They allow cells at EFY now? Wow! Progress, huh?

Tori :) said...

I dread going thru teenage years with my kiddos because of all the drama.... Blog about it a lot to help me prepare.

wendy said...

Yeah, keep up your teenage blogging - we're getting close over here...I need all the advice and tips I can get. I love hearing about your big kids!