THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

What we're reading

We like to read. I just finished "The Memory Keeper's Daughter". It was good. The story is about a doctor and his young wife. She is pregnant and goes into labor during a snow storm. They drive to his office where his nurse meets him and they decide they can't make it to the hospital. He delivers a healthy baby boy and then realizes there is a second baby. His wife is given gas during the birth so she is out of it. He delivers a second baby, a daughter with Down's Syndrome. He instructs his nurse to take the baby to a home to live out what he assumes will be a short life and a sad limited life. Then he tells his wife that the baby has died. The nurse takes the baby and when she arrives at the home decides she can't leave her there. She keeps her and raises her as her own. The story follows both families; the doctor, his wife and son and the nurse and her "adopted" daughter. It's about secrets and trust and love and the potential of the human spirit. As usual it has a part or two to skip over but mostly it's a good read.
Now I am reading "Fire of the Covenant". DH got it this spring and read it. I've been holding off, knowing it's not going to be a happy story. I've been reading a little bit at a time for a few days and am, of course, sucked in. I feel like shouting "don't go, wait for next year" I know it won't go well. Yet I read. It's the story of the ill-fated Willie-Martin handcart company. I don't understand why they went with so many things stacked agaisnt them. They wanted to be obedient. That I understand, it's just so hard to read and think about. ARGH! It's not going to be a happy reading week:(

Brother is reading (being read to) Peter Pan. He's enjoying it very much. He calls chapters 'epsodes' which is so cute. We're on epsode 5 now he'll tell me. Still no Capt. Hook but we know he's coming!

DH is reading emotional intelligence and something about becoming a millionaire which actual title I have forgotten.

J is reading something nestled in her text book, sneaking pages between homework. A story delish and forbidden because of time constraints. I remember that!

Last night H was sitting up in bed reading by the dim filtered light that floods in her bedroom window from an outside security light. She was reading "Little Witch". She always has a stack by her bed. G likes books, likes to eat them, look at them, whatever. She sits nicely for story time so that's good :)

7 comments:

nikko said...

Oohh... sounds like a good read. We should start our book club up again!

Speaking of books, I got out one of our space books this morning during the party, and the boys were SO engrossed in it! I kept skipping over stuff, and they kept getting upset. So cute.

Amanda said...

Wow, that first books sounds really interesting.

I have read "Fire and the covenant" twice. Each time I could not put it down. I felt the same way about just waiting until next year. It was hard knowing what was coming, but well worth the read.

talitha said...

Oh, thank you for the suggestions to add to my reading list!

I recently read a book by Emily Watts in which she discussed that perhaps the Saints who left when they did were supposed to show us, the Saints of today, that there really can be that kind of faith.
I liked that idea.

Nettie said...

I loved reading "Fire and the Covenant". I knew before it was a hard thing they did, but not until I read it did I realize how bad it really was. It really feels you with gratitude.

Good job on raising a family of readers!

Super Happy Girl said...

It's so cool that your kids love reading. It's a pretty awesome thing to do as a family.

Mel said...

I loved "Fire and the Covenant". The "Memory Keepers Daughter" sounds good. It's been too long since I've lost myself in a good book.

Pirate Princess said...

haven't read the covenant book yet... have so many others on my waiting list... SIGH. One book at a time.... lol!