THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Warning: this post is about money, a controversial and "hot" topic at best

I have been thinking about money the last couple of days. Well, truthfully I guess it's something I think about all the time. I think everyone does, right?
DH works hard and he provides a nice life for us. A blessing I am very grateful for. We have a budget and live in it (mostly). We try to live in it always. We save, tithe, pay our bills and have some left over for wants. I feel we are very fortunate. We are not expert at living within our means and sometimes buy on credit but we both are united in a goal of getting rid of that bad habit and paying off our debts etc.
It's always a balancing act. Everyone has to prioritize and decide what to spend their resources on. Whether the resource is money, or time, or energy.
So, why the extra attention to the topic now?
Two reasons. First we had an issue, whose root is money, in our family this week.
Second, next week I will have been blogging for one year and I am going to slurp my blog into a book to save for posterity. I thought some useful information would be good to include. I don't know how much useful stuff there is but here is my 2 cents.

A couple days ago we booked our trip for next summer. Both my brothers are coming with us and one sister. Three sisters could not. We actually didn't even invite the two youngest. They are in college and working and young still (18 and 21 years old) and even though we love to spend time with them they are really kids still and not on their own financially or otherwise. My other sister has had some set backs and whatnot over the years and isn't in a position to go right now. She was not excluded, in fact we told her we'd love to have her come and we all would. Still she is upset that we didn't keep her in the loop in planning as much as she wanted and that we didn't plan around her. I didn't talk to her that much about it because I was trying to be sensitive to her feelings. And we didn't plan around her because right now a luxury vacation is not feasible for them. We did talk about changing our plans to what she wanted and decided that if we did she still couldn't go and then we'd be going some where that wasn't our first choice. In a nut shell.

Yesterday she and I had a conversation that I found upsetting. I love her and her family very much and it saddens me that they are struggling. I also gave a lot of thought to the things she said.

This is turning into random babbling, as usual, but anyway.
When I was growing up we were not rich. I am the oldest of a lot of kids and dad is a teacher. He taught at the high school and night classes at the college. Mom stayed home with the kids sometimes doing daycare or teaching piano lessons but she was mostly home when I was a kid. We vacationed seeing our grandparents or camping at the beach. I baby-sat for spending money from the time I was young. My brothers had paper routes, raised dogs, did odd jobs. We all got jobs when we were older teens. It was a normal, happy life.
When I was in later high school mom went to work teaching too and then we had a bit more money. My sisters took more dance classes and had more expensive prom dresses but still we weren't rich. I think I got a good work ethic from my parents, and a good appreciation of the value of money and spending it wisely.
When I was ready to go to college my parents told me I needed to get a scholarship because it was too expensive. I didn't. I went to community college, which I paid for. After one semester I got married and stopped going. Shortly after Dani was born I wanted to go back and so I did daycare in my home in order that I could stay home with her and pay tuition to go to school at night. A few years later I had been going part time semester after semester, baby after baby, when my MIL came to me and said she wanted to help. She thought our marriage was in a lot of trouble and her son wasn't a good husband/father. She offered to pay for my junior and senior year of school. She said it was not only for my future but for her granddaughters. Education is the key to security. This was the greatest gift she could have given me. I was so grateful and I accepted that help with a keen sense of obligation and responsibility. I was a good student and had already shown that going to college was important to me but I continued with a further resolve to not waste that chance. I became a teacher.
Before I finished school I did end up getting divorced. Then my parents offered help and shelter from the storm for the girls and I. We lived with them while getting on our feet. Again I was so grateful. Again I didn't want to waste their help and kindness, I wanted to use that time to make sure I could stand on my own. Fortunately I was almost done with school and was able to become gainfully employed and after a little over a year was able to move out on my own and take care of my children. I feel so blessed to have had that help when I needed it. I am so glad that I recognized the need to get an education and even though it took a long time that I could stick with it and have the security we needed. I hope I am paying forward by teaching my kids the same thing.
You have to get trained to do something skilled. It doesn't necessarily have to be 4-8 years at a university, it could be becoming a great plumber, or x-ray technician or whatever but it has to be something. You have to pay the price at some time. I was talking with my brother about this and he told me that he went to night school for 6 years while working full time as an enlisted guy in the Air Force before he got accepted into the PA program and went to school full time for two years. Then he was an officer and now he works in private practice and is doing well. He said it was hard but he wanted better for his family.
So, posterity, take note. You have to take advantage of getting as much education as you can. You have to have a plan and pay the price. Being a good person isn't enough. Look at Nephi, he starts out I Nephi, having been born of goodly parents and having been taught....
We are commanded to seek wisdom out of the best books. To learn and to know all we can.

I know I am very blessed and very fortunate. I am aware of that and try to make good choices with my resources. We are lucky as well because DH's family spoils us and we enjoy fun things that we wouldn't have otherwise been able to. Fun shopping trips with Nana, a dream Disney vacation! (Can't wait), cool toys. BUT, we live a comfortable life because DH spent 6years in college studying hard, and studying math (who wants to do that??). And the values we want to pass on to our children are those of getting a good education, working hard, saving money. DH's family does that~ has those goals, helps with that and supports that in every way. My family does that~ has those goals, helps and supports. That is the real gift. A cruise is a perk, but an education is forever and the glory of God.

As for my dear sister. I hope she will be less mad. I hope she understands where I am coming from. I hope she knows that I think she is awesome and her family is precious and dear to me. We stand behind her, have confidence in her, and support her. By her I mean her and her husband and family, and by we I mean not only DH and myself but all the kids and our parents, ( I am 100% confident in saying ~though not authorized to speak for them this is just my own personal babble )
She is a hard worker and bright and wonderful. This hard time will pass. In the meantime. I love you.

19 comments:

I have a good life said...

$ is frequently such a difficult subject! Education really is the key to a happy life...not perfect, but definitely easier!

How'd the dentist go?

btw: I am one of those people that LOVE math!

Anonymous said...

While I agree that an education is very important, it doesn't always guarantee a better life. I know many people with an education that they aren't using. I know people who do quite well without an education. Circumstances are different for everyone.

Does that mean you think that people who struggle have only themselves to blame because of no education?

Lana said...

There are no guarantees of a good life. I think an education has intrinsic value that we can not put a $ on.

I also think everyone struggles with one thing or another. I don't think that people who struggle with finances have "only themselves" to blame. I think some people don't take opportunities that would probably put them in a better situation but that's their choice and I am not going to say it's right or wrong. Some people have bad luck.

I know it's not my place to judge. It is my place to advise my children on the course I think is best...and then they get to choose. And I get to be supportive and loving and hope for the best.

Millie said...

On the flip side, many women gain an education that they aren't necessarily "using" because they chose to be stay-at-home moms. Is that a wasted education? Absolutely not. People who struggle, struggle for a myriad of reasons, not because they aren't educated. Some people are born with a good business/selling sense or some other talent that makes scads of money. Other people are completely clueless when it comes to anything money-related and it doesn't matter how much income they have, they'll never have money because they spend everything and are constantly in debt.

I agree that getting as much education as you can is a great buffer against hard times. Part of that will hopefully include how to budget and handle money (in case you're like me and your husband gets a "chick degree"). ;)

Luisa Perkins said...

Wow, what a courageous and heartfelt post! I hope your sister cools off soon.

Tori :) said...

Great post!
My dad has always told me that I needed to finish school and have "something to fall back on." I didn't have any type of degree or skill when I got divorced. I lucked out because I found the man of my dreams a short time later who works hard to support us. But I totally see the importance in having some type of skill. I have over 100 hours in school and I know I need to finish. I just need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. :)

Anonymous said...

School doesn't guarantee success, but it improves the chance of success dramatically by opening lots of opportunities. School doesn't have to mean college, although it did for me.

Really, the need is to get a skill so you can be qualified to do a job that not that many people are qualified to do, and is in demand. For example, if you are only qualified to do a job that any high school kid can do, you can expect to get paid what a high school kid gets paid.

Mel said...

$ is a sensitive subject. I wish your sister & her family the best.

Lana said...

me too Mel. They are awesome and have had some tough luck.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me and I think by fate I came upon your blog. Its good to see that all families go through the same things that my family goes through--and we are all older and married. We had a similar situation recently on plannig or trying to plan a family reunion. Its sounds like you had some rough times and you would think that your sister would be at least happy that you are finally in a position to able to do something awesome with a man who has made an amzing difference in your life and the life of your children (some which I imagine aren't really his) I agree about education. Yes, education dosen't guarantee a happy life and not all those who are "successful" are educated. Didn't Bill Gates drop out of Harvard? But honestly, how often does that happen? My parents are both immigrants form Mexico and instilled in us the importance of a higher education, so we wouldn't have to do the jobs that they have had. And all five of us have, one of us has an associated degree, have a college degree, some advanced degrees. Sorry I have taken up your space, but I just felt strongly on the subject. Best wishes to you and your husband and children. You deserve a great vacation

utmommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nikko said...

Of course, if it were DH and me, we'd want to be alone on an anniversary trip and we wouldn't have even invited anyone else!

;o)

Anonymous said...

Finances will always be a sensitive subject, especially among family and friends. I hope it all works out for all of you.

Debbie said...

this was such a great post to read. i agree with everyone that money is such a sensitive subject but i think we can all read this post and agree with something and learn something from it. have a great time on your trip! i wish i was taking one:)

Chellie said...

I really hope everything works out for the best. I've been blessed with a happy, 98% stress free life, great kids and a successful husband. But if you talked to me about 6 years ago, I would tell you how hard everything was in my life. I really credit all of my blessings on my DH. He's smart and witty and successful.
With that being said... education is IMPORTANT. Regardless what you do with it. Had I gone into my education field when I was working, I would have made about 1/2 less than what I did when I did something different. However, I am grateful for education and do believe it opens doors.
With that being said, I hope for the best for everyone in your family and everyone NEEDS to read ATLAS SHRUGGED by Ayn Rand. Seriously.

wendy said...

I have mixed feelings about college being the end all to financial happiness.

I just read this yesterday: "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery." (in David Copperfield.)

I hope this doesn't cause a rift between you and your sister. I could see how it could easily happen in my family.

Mel said...

I loved the comment from Rob. It takes discipline to save and avoid debt. Hats off to you! I work as a legal assistant primarily with Bankruptcy. I see the stress and heartache that many people experience due to mismanagement of money. I'm becoming more conscious of where our money goes. Anyway, I appreciate you sharing your experiences.

Lana said...

I appriciate everyone's comments. It's a tough situation and like all situations in families it's not all clear cut. There were misunderstandings and hurt feelings.

saving and getting an education are still sound principles to live your life on.

I know that there are different routes to getting trained to be a valuable contributor in the work world.

really I just want everyone to be happy

Anonymous said...

Don't mean to beat a dead horse but- isn't it ironic- on the home page of YAHOO! today:
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/jobseeker/tools/ept/partnerTemplatePost.html?post=3
"Any way you measure it, a college degree is the best investment of your life. In today's dollars, a bachelor's degree is worth more than $2.1 million over 40 years...
The Department of Labor reports that employments for those with bachelor's degrees grew by 1.8 million during the past 10 years compared to a loss of nearly 700,000 jobs for those armed with a high school diploma."

other interesting info., you should read it :)