THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Monday, October 22, 2007

dresses ~ purple and white, real and in stories

Rainy Rainy. It feels like fall, the weather is a lot colder. The kids were scrambling around for warm clothes this morning that fit right. I guess I need to sort again.

H started school today. That sentence doesn't sound right since we have been having school. She went to public school sounds weird too. In any case she went. DH took brother so I could take her. I had a very conflicted weekend (surprise) and was concerned about the teacher she had been assigned. In fact I didn't want her to have her and the more people I talked to about it the less I wanted H in her class so I had about made up my mind to turn around and walk out if they wouldn't change. H spent the weekend excited and looking forward to going so that was going to prove difficult if we came to that decision point.
Anyway we arrived, a little wet (all of us), a little nervous (me), very excited (H) and loud and bouncy (Lucy). I talked with one person after another for almost an hour until we were able to get her in a different class. The principal was nice and helpful and apologetic for the first teacher~once we made it past her sentinels who were also nice but not as able to help. Once that was settled we went to her classroom and she was excited to see several friends she knew there. The teacher was out today but the substitute was nice and at the end of the day she came home happy with how things had went. I will go again tomorrow and meet her teacher. I think it will turn out well.

Lou and I came home and did laundry and read stories. It was a quiet day. I worked with Joy on dinner groups, which is kind of like playing Suduku at this point, and made some visiting teaching appointments and played with google calendar since DH wants to try it out.

A beautiful purple princess dress arrived in the mail from Nana for Lucy to wear on Halloween. She tried it right on and it fit perfectly. Very exciting.

FHE was fine. We had a lesson on the wise man and the foolish man.

On a side note I read a fun book this weekend. It was called "the Wedding Dress". It was the story of three sisters at the end of the civil war. They lived on their family's land, which was once a lovely plantation, and were suffering through the reconstruction. Their parents had died. The older two sisters had married during the war and both their husbands had died in battle. The youngest sister is in despair about her prospects to find a husband and have a normal life so in an effort to cheer her the older sisters come up with a plan to make her a wedding dress. They sell what they can for fabric and begin their project. Word gets out in the small town where they live and magical things begin to happen. It's a quick, fun read but also poignant and a touching story of love and life in a different era.

update:
DH and I were talking tonight and it all of a sudden hit me why I am feeling, and have been feeling so conflicted over our schooling choices. He wants us to home school, always has & probably always will. I like public school. Neither choice is "perfect", and both have good and great things and both have not good things about it. I did agree to give it a go and there were things I liked about it. Mostly it was so sweet to get to know H better on a one and one basis, to see her sweet and agreeable side. I didn't like the conflict over school work. She didn't like to do the work, she liked to draw pictures, paint, play with Lucy, have me read to her. In the end I couldn't take the worry about her learning enough, and having such a big thing to have conflict over every day. I am happy she's back at school. I like school. I liked going, I like sending my kids. Although we decided together to try it, and decided together that it wasn't a good fit for us there is still that difference. Unfortunately I know DH is secretly unhappy about it and it will always be a disappointment to him. So, what are we to do to make everyone happy? (rhetorical)

7 comments:

Yvonne said...

I'm so glad you got everything squared away at school. I hope she has a great experience at school.

Can't wait to see the pictures of the purple dress.

nikko said...

Glad H had a great first day of "school". I think you are awesome for even trying to homeschool. I would have been a basket case.

tara said...

Hi Txmommy... I've read your blog off and on for a while, but I'm not sure I've ever commented. (o: I feel ya on the school situation. I'm not facing the decision of home school vs. public school but I really like to put my kids in formal preschool 3 days a week the year before they start kindergarten. Even by the time they're 3 my girls are bored at home and need the outside solicitation. I have done preschools at home with other girls in my ward and my husband doesn't really understand how hard it can be to have the children at home, sometimes bored! My point is... they just don't get it sometimes [husbands]... to keep them stimulated and if they are social like my girls have been, feeling like they've had enough interaction with other kids!
Anyway... kudos to you for trying it! You're awesome.

I have a good life said...

Can't wait to see the dress! I am so glad that H had fun at school. It is always hard to have differing opinions on schooling (or anything else)...like we're not conflicted enough all by ourselves! :)

Joyismygoal said...

we can only do our best:> and finding that best is trial and error at times and easier others We love all our family and pleasing everyone is quite a challenge

Mel said...

The school decision is so hard at times. I'm glad H is happy.

wendy said...

School choices are hard. My dh would like me to homeschool also. He is probably a little disappointed that the kids are in school. And sometimes I feel bad about it, too - I did enjoy homeschooling.

BUT my relationship with one of my girls really improved when someone else was asking her to do her math and finish her writing...