THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Things They Carried by Tim O Brien

Our ward book club read this some months back, I don't know how they liked it. My mom liked it and kept telling me I should read it. Then S was assigned to read it at school. She did not like it. A couple of days ago I saw it in her room and was between books so I picked it up. I like to read what the girls are assigned but don't always keep up. Anyway I figured I'd give it a shot.

It's a memoir of sorts, it's fiction but he was there and writes about his experiences and remembrances. O'Brien, the author, is a college graduate who got drafted to go to Vietnam. After the war he came home (finished grad school) and is now an author. This is one of his stories. He writes it like a memoir and I suspect it partly is.

I really liked his story telling style. I do not usually like war books. Birth books are more my style, or cook books, or well, many other kinds of books. War books and fix it books and books about politics would be lowest on my list of books I want to read. From time to time I do though. And sometimes I like them. I liked this one. I was happy he survived, and sad when others didn't and I felt like it gave a good description of how things were there, at least for him.

The thing I did not like was the liberal use of the "F" word. I have noticed that in other Vietnam books I have read as well, I am not sure why. I was going to say that maybe it's the nature of war that brings that out in a solider, and I could see why...but I haven't noticed that about other war books (WWI and II come to mind) so maybe there was something different about that particular war. Or maybe since it's closer to our time and people just are not as careful about their language and it was war that is why. What ever the reason I was very surprised that this was required reading for the juniors at S's school last spring. She said when they discussed the book that word never made it into their discussion, nor did the teacher say anything about why it was chosen. Sadly I am not surprised since the girls have also been shown rated "R" movies from time to time in the name of historical accuracy or whatever.

Back to the book, he started out talking about the actual physical things they carried with them. The C rations, and weapons, good luck charms, pictures from home, etc. Then he moved on to the emotional "things", the guilt, fear, hope, beliefs, wishes they carried. He ended with the things they took home with them: some snap shots and dog tags but also ghosts and memories and experiences. This was all woven into a skillfully told story that was relateable.

As a mom I carry a lot of things. For many years I carried a diaper bag with diapers and wipes and snacks and crayons. Sometimes with a little doll or soft book, sometimes with a Jedi knight and a hot wheels car; always with tylenol and keys and a lip gloss on the bottom (in case I ever had time to remember that I was more than "mom"). I carry groceries and laundry baskets and book bags and gym bags. I carry forgotten math assignments to school, sleeping children to bed and $5 in my pocket to pick up girls from dances and buy ice cream on the way home.
I also carry hopes for the children's future and dreams for them and me. Fear about not doing well enough and about how the world is going. I look back on the events of my life and find ghosts and things I'd rather not remember and also many things that have shaped who I am. My experience could not have been more actually different than his but I could still relate. So if you can get past that word I'd recommend it, it was thought provoking and thoughtful.

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

You really should write.

I think you're absolutely right about the differences in WWI or II and Vietnam. It was a very different time. I had a Visiting Teacher when I lived in So. California whose husband fought in Vietnam and when he went to see Platoon was so moved. He apparently saw it with a lot of other Vets and they could barely get up and leave the theater.

I struggle whenever my children are assigned "R" rated movies for a class. (I usually have them stay home and we use our Clear Play Filter to watch it. Makes me feel better)

Thanks for sharing your great insight. Again, I love how you write.

Kathy said...

I also read this book. I found it interesting but not my favorite. It was weird and long in parts. Thanks for your insight. You are so much more creative with your book reviews than I am.

Anonymous said...

Nice review! You are very generous to us in your openness. (Thank you!)

I too enjoyed his story telling style, as hopefully you can see in my review of the same title, and I am also not often drawn into books about war. Too often the purpose of the story gets lost in the writer's expression of the gore. I think Mr. O'Brien manages the delicate balance between accessibility and the necessary reference to the reality of war very well, even in his word choices. Personally, I don't think that there is any way to offer a story set in that war without using at least some of the words one would have heard while there. My guess is that he went to great lengths to take out as much as he could without degrading the stories. It is a struggle he openly expresses when he talks of the original version of "Speaking of Courage". He tries to tell the story without putting in the "s--- field" and it doesn't ring true to him or the person for whom he had written it.