Sarah Palin from Alaska.
I have to say I am excited. Up until a couple hours ago I thought I was choosing the candidate that I disliked the least. But I actually like her, so far, hope it sticks.
I first heard of Sarah shortly after the birth of her 5th baby this last spring. He has Downs Syndrome and she went to a March of Dimes walk (I think) and met with other mom's who had similar challenges. A mom whose blog I read is the mother of twin girls with CP and she wrote about her so I went to Alaska's Website and read about their Governor. At that time I was impressed but never thought I'd hear more about her.
So, some things I like about her, in no particular order, and just for my own fun and entertainment.
1. She is about my age, 44, and is strong and healthy and in touch with what families are facing today.
2. She has 5 kids. Her oldest is serving in the Army, then three daughters, including an 8 year old (I have an 8 year old, well now she's 9 but still) and a newborn.
3. When she was a girl she used to get up early and go moose hunting with her dad before school.
4. She is pro life, anti gay marriage and fiscally conservative.
5. She has a record of standing up for what she feels is right, when she was the Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission she resigned her post in protest over what she perceived as ethics violations by fellow Alaskan Republican leaders.
6. She's outdoorsy, hunts and fishes and runs marathons (I don't do that but I admire people who do).
7. She seems like the mom next door, someone I would be friends with, who's kids would be friends with mine, someone who will care about the things I care about.
8. She thinks education is important.
She's some one I feel I have things in common with, you know, if I was a cool, hip, politically active, marathon running, moose killing, mom of 5 who was married to a snowmobiling champion, fisherman hottie husband. It's like we're twins :)
I think this is going to change the flavor of the election and the political arena in Washington if she does get to be VP.
2 weeks ago