THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Thursday, May 03, 2007

keep my little birds safe

When we went to the rangers game a few weeks ago we had a long walk back to our car. On the way we saw a bird in the grass. It was flopping around and drawing attention to itself. As we got closer it took off and flew circling the air above us and made menacing noises(at least as menacing as a little bird could).
As we got closer we realized it was a mama bird protecting her nest. Unfortunately she had built her nest right next to the parking lot. It seemed unlikely that it would be safe from all the pedestrian traffic, lawn mowers, and cars driving around.
The mama was making a valiant effort, but I can't help but wonder about those babies. Did any of them make it? Or did they are perish because of her foolish choice?

I felt great empathy for that bird. As a mom I want to protect my kids from all dangers. Yet like her my nest is built in a very precarious location: the world, 2007. There are dangers all around and the forces of evil are very strong and very tempting to our young people. I hope my efforts aren't as futile as hers.
Today I sent S to school, well technically I wanted her to stay home and she refused because she doesn't want to take exams, because they had a threat. Some one wrote in the bathrooms at school that everyone was going to die on May 3. The school has taken some extra precautions, and rationally I know you can not predict when tragedy will strike, and you can't lock your kids in a high tower and never take risks.

Unlike Mama Bird I have available to me extra weapons of defense. The first that comes to mind is prayer. We have talked a lot about the power of prayer lately. One thing that someone brought up, and that I believe is true, is that the Lord has blessings He wants us to have and He is just waiting for us to ask. We need to ask for the things we need and acknowledge His hand and grace in our lives. There are other weapons as well, some call them drops of oil, or acts of obedience, that protect us, prepare us and other wise keep us safe as we navigate our way through life's stormy seas.

Thank goodness for that.

6 comments:

attack of The Mouse said...

Great analagy. I agree. As a mom you want to protect your kids, but we live in such a scarry world. Our only protection is the trusting in the Lord, following the prophet, and obedience. Thanks for the reminder.

Joyismygoal said...

I am w/ you that message hit me profoundly all we have to do is ask.....I am not always so good at asking for whati need but i am today asking for our dear children's safety

Chellie said...

That was a great analogy. I always want to protect my children and always make the right decisions and I too, rely on prayer for guidance every day.
This was a great post.

wendy said...

I like the mama bird analogy. I think I might borrow it for my mothers day talk. Is that okay?

Tori :) said...

That was a great analogy. Women all over will be using it in talks to come.
Great post.

Unknown said...

I often look at those mama birds feeding their babies and draw parallels. But you're right: we have so many other wonderful resources and blessings to provide for our children!