THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day


Happy Memorial Day
All Americans honor the memory of the lives that have been lost in defense of our freedom. Our Nation mourns them, and their example of strength and perseverance gives us resolve. We are also thankful to those who have stood by our service men and women in times of war and times of peace. On Memorial Day, we honor all those who have fallen by remembering their noble sacrifice for freedom. We also pray for our troops, their families, and for the peace we all seek.
--George W. Bush
I wonder do all people feel the way about their country that we do about ours? I don't know. I do know that I feel really blessed to live in America. To be part of this great nation that stands for liberty and justice for all, that is a promised land, where opportunities really are available to anyone willing to work hard and we have more freedoms than we probablly even realize or appriciate.
The sight of our flag flying makes me proud, songs about the heartland bring a tear to my eye, and those men in uniform....there is something about them. They look tall, and handsome and brave and selfless.
We have a lot of brave military men in our family. My dad, who was a young immigrant from France, enlisted and served in the Air Force during the war. My brother also served in the AF for about 12 years. He went in enlisted, came out an officer. DH's family is also very military. His Grandfather spent his career in the Air Force and retired a Colonel. I loved reading his grandmother's journal about life as an officer's wife overseas. Now at age 88 he still volunteers at the AF Museum. His two uncles both served as well. Brian retired as a Major and now works for a contractor doing military maneuvers planning (to the best of my knowledge :)), Tom just retired as a colonel and is also now working in the civilian side. DH designs fighters and who knows maybe brother will grow up and follow in the noble footsteps of his family and get a set of wings himself.
So today we hung our flag, talked about the men/women who fought and died so we could be free and cleaned the bedroom and lit the grill but hey thanks to them we can do that and what a tremendous blessing that is, this life we live in this country we love!

5 comments:

utmommy said...

I'm grateful for our many freedoms too! We are very blessed to live in this country.

Suzanne said...

It sounds like your family has such a strong connection to serving our country. I feel so blessed to live here too! :)

wendy said...

Off We Go, into the wild blue yonder!
Go Air Force!

Lei said...

what a wonderful post!

60 toes said...

I stumbled onto your blog tonight, from Raising Five. My husband is a Navy Pilot and has been serving for the last 12 years and appreciate your kind words towards our troops, thanks. Also, I wanted to tell you I hope you have a great trip to Disney, I love Disney World! I can't wait to read about your trip.

-Charlotte