THE END

I have run out of room. My blog is finished.
You can now find me at
Too Many To Count Two

lanamarieblog.blogspot.com

Saturday, May 19, 2007

once upon a time

we thought it would be so lovely to have a pool. And it is. We LOVE it! We designed it ourselves and put a lot of thought into just what would be the most fun. There is only one thing we would change. When we had the fence put it we didn't have it meet up with the decking. In a temporary lapse of reason we forgot we lived in TX and thought it would be so nice to have landscaping and left planting areas inside the pool gate.

It's been a bit of a challenge to keep the weeds out and it's never looked like we envisioned it.

We've tried different things. Like that black landscape fabric, planting things that are supposed to spread and make a lovely, lush and full ground cover, and putting down river rock. Still the weeds won.

Finally we decided to dig a trench around the pool, fill it with cement and make a barrier for the weeds to keep them out.

That's what we did this weekend.

Everyone helped. After the concrete was down we sprinkled pebbles and river rock around to make it look intentional.

Two days, 2 trailer loads of cement, countless rocks and 20+ bug bites each and we are done. Hopefully it'll work!


Lou helped a lot. Then she got hungry and when I came inside to look for her look what I found.



7 comments:

nikko said...

I hope it works! Let us know when you'll have a weeding party. :o)

Tori :) said...

I bet it will look so nice!

I have a good life said...

What a huge project. How wonderful that you all got to work together! And, yes, the bugs are out en masse! I guess all that rain was heaven for mosquito eggs! Can't wait to see your work!

Joyismygoal said...

I bet that project really cemented you together as a family. I hope it works.

Anne/kq said...

I bet it will work fine. Look at her making a PB&J! That's impressive!

Anonymous said...

awwwww! she's such cutie!

Yeah - t have lanscaping in East Tx you almost have to hire a gardner!

The Mathews Family said...

Holy Cow that's a lot of work!!! It sounds like you had a lot of helping hands, though. Some of my favorite childhood memories are from working along side my parents and siblings in our yard and gardens. They always looked beautiful. Of course, when I really stop to think about it I remember all of the bugs (I hate earwigs), heat, more bugs, and monotony of weeds! Your finished project looks great!
-Jessica
BTW... What an independent little Lou you have there. Was she fending for herself or did she make everyone lunch?!